St Nicholas's was rebuilt during the Georgian period, about 1730, and its distinctive
tower and cupola are a prominent feature of Worcester's High Street. Sadly, the church
became redundant and is now a “Slug & Lettuce” pub/restaurant.
The six bells still hang in the tower, but everything is quite derelict, the bells
not having been rung full-circle since 1939. Furthermore, the ringing chamber has
been ‘boxed-in' to create an office. Until the church closed in 1990 the bells were
chimed regularly by means of an Ellacombe Apparatus.
The two oldest bells are by Richard Sanders, of Bromsgrove, 1715 and 1720. William
Brook, the last Worcestershire bellfounder cast the 3rd in 1741, and Thomas Rudhall
cast the Treble, 2nd and tenor in 1770.