Also former ring of six, tenor 13cwt, hung dead as a chime.
At the beginning of the 20th century, it was envisaged that this church would close
when a new church dedicated to St Martin was built to the east of the city. However,
"Old" St Martin's has survived and is in regular use for worship in the Anglo-Catholic
Old St Martin’s is one of four city-centre churches that were rebuilt during the
Georgian period, and four of the bells from the earlier church form part of the present
chime of six, the oldest bell of which (the 3rd) is early 14th Century, and is dedicated
to St Martin. The "back" three are by Watts, of Leicester 1638 and 1640. Treble is
by T. Rudhall, 1780 and 2nd by T. Mears 1833. These six are now fitted with electro-magnetic
hammers that strike the “St Martin’s” Chime at each quarter and on the hour. They
may also be set to ring “Plain Hunt”. The new light ring of ten, by Taylor’s, was
installed in 2011.
Practices are by arrangement; for further information contact