St John's Church (12th Century, and later) is situated west of the river and has
given its name to the whole of that part of the conurbation, which is simply known
as "St John's". The eight bells were previously a ring of six cast by Mears in 1816
and hung in a wooden eight-bell frame. Augmentation to eight, by Taylor's, came in
For four years, from 2007 to 2011, the bells were out of action due to death watch
beetle in the tower. After remedial work to deal with this the bells were rehung
with new bearings, pulleys, etc, by Arthur Berry.